Caramel Apple Crisp Bars
Recipe Development: Sara Lynn Sullivan // @saralynn.bakes
Photography: Sara Lynn Sullivan // @saralynn.bakes
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour, leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups apples, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup Yukonola Original Crunch Granola
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8X8 in square baking pan.
2. To make the base layer, cream together the butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Then, add in the flour and baking powder and mix until a sticky dough forms. With floured hands, flatten the dough into your pan and par-bake it for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the apple layer. In a small bowl, combine the thinly sliced apples, flour, sugar, and cinnamon until the fruit is evenly coated. Set aside.
4. Make the crumble topping by placing the granola in a large ziplock bag, and crushing it with a rolling pin. Pour this in a small bowl and stir in the maple syrup until it’s evenly coated.
5. Once the base layer is par-baked - remove it from the oven, layer on the apples, and top it with the granola crumble. Bake for 30 min. Then, remove it from the oven and set it on a wire rack to cool. Drizzle on your favorite caramel sauce, slice and enjoy!